As John Andrew Holmes wisely said,
"Never tell a young person that something cannot be done. God may have been waiting
centuries for somebody ignorant enough of the impossible to do that thing."

BE SURE TO SCROLL THROUGH AND LOOK THROUGH OLDER POSTS TO SEE
PICTURES OF YOUR CHILDREN AND ALL THEY'RE LEARNING AT
HANDS ON 4 KIDS!!



Friday, July 13, 2012

Living Love and Logic tip #46

Our Kids Should Have Some Junk
Weekly Tip from the Love and Logic® Experts


Our kids should have some junk? Before you click "unsubscribe" at the bottom of the page, consider for a moment the lessons our children can learn from rusty bicycles with loose chains and/or flat tires.
Earlier this week an amazing little bicycle caught my eye: shiny red with multiple gears, hand brakes and gleaming chrome wheels. It screamed, "Buy me! Your kid will love me! He will love you for buying me! I'm so much better than the one he has! If you are a good dad who loves his boy, you will buy me!"
Fortunately, I escaped from the bike shop without the bike being peddled to me!
Something about that wonderful bike reminded me of something even better: Growing up in a home where I was given the privilege of having to make do with things that don't work very well. As a young boy, I could either figure out how to fix my bike or miss out on the fun of riding it. As a teen, I frequently encountered three options: (1) Find a way to fix my car, (2) walk where I wanted to go, or (3) stay at home and pretend that I was mobile.
When everything our children have is brand new and flawless, they miss out on endless opportunities to learn. They fail to learn delayed gratification and patience. They fail to learn humility. They fail to learn the creativity and problem-solving skills that enabled earlier generations to build the United States of America into a world economic powerhouse.  To see other recommendations and how to help develop these character attrbutes in your child, click HERE!

No comments:

Post a Comment