As John Andrew Holmes wisely said,
"Never tell a young person that something cannot be done. God may have been waiting
centuries for somebody ignorant enough of the impossible to do that thing."

BE SURE TO SCROLL THROUGH AND LOOK THROUGH OLDER POSTS TO SEE
PICTURES OF YOUR CHILDREN AND ALL THEY'RE LEARNING AT
HANDS ON 4 KIDS!!



Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Friendships At HO4K

Wow! I can see friendships helping in our class:
"Establishing and sustaining friends over a lifetime is essential for individual well-being, and for emotional and social support over the life trajectory," writes Susan Danby from Australia's Queensland University of Technology in the Bernard van Leer Foundation publication, Developing Positive Identities: Diversity and Young Children.
"Friendships are important for children because friends help each other understand the world in which they live. It is known that the quality of children's friendships affects their development of a personal and social identity.... Children with friends, even one friend, have better social skills and fewer adjustment problems. Friends provide social support and can protect against the difficulties of starting school, the birth of a sibling, family conflict and different family settings, behavior troubles, victimization and bullying. Children starting school seem to like school better and adjust better if they have formed friendships."
I have two previous students who became "best friends" in my class and still are having just graduated from high school. Back then, I didn't think much of the "little friendship" but the families felt it and with support it truly did as this article says....help in many ways. Parents must always be their child's best advocate!
(Now that I think back....my dearest friendships began in my 3 year old church class, and many of us are still friends! )
Keep up the great parenting and thanks for sharing your children with me! (I always hope my students stay in touch and families continue to be my friends!)
Truly,
JoAnn

No comments:

Post a Comment